7UP Can Chicken
More than a tasty way to cook chicken, this 7UP Can Chicken recipe is a fun way to change it up when friends and family are coming over. Herbs and spices add to the flavor while cooking, both inside and out. Make this as an alternative to roasting a chicken in a pan for your next dinner.
- 1 whole chicken, 3-1/2 to 4 lb.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 cans 7UP®
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 lemons, sliced
- Ready In: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 4 people
- Rinse and pat the chicken dry.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with butter to coat.
- Season the entire chicken with salt and pepper.
- Open the can of 7UP®, and pour 1/3 cup into a container and set aside.
- Add the crushed garlic and thyme to the can.
- Place the chicken onto the can so that the chicken sits up straight, and place into a shallow baking pan.
- Place the lemon slices at the base of the chicken, and pour the 1/3 cup and additional can of 7UP® into the baking pan.
- Bake at 350° F for 1 hour, then turn the oven up to 425° F and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted into the meat in the leg close to the bone registers at 160° F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and wrap in foil to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tips from 7UP
Vertical roasting is a big part of why 7UP Can Chicken is so good. Cooking the chicken upright lets the fat and juices drain down from the top and coat the entire bird. It gets browned evenly, for crispy skin, since no part of the bird is resting on anything. To make sure your chicken is thoroughly cooked (no matter which method you use to cook it), use a digital thermometer for an accurate reading.