7UP Lemon Meringue Cups
Impress your guests with these lemon custard-infused bites of pure delight. Perfect for spring brunches, baby and bridal showers, and birthday parties.
Light and lemony yet smooth and creamy, this 7UP Lemon Meringue Cups recipe begs to be on a dessert tray or even a brunch buffet. An easy meringue makes the base of the dessert, and a smooth, rich lemony custard gives these sweet bites substance. You'll definitely be eating more than one.
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 6 oz. 7UP®
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- Lime zest, for garnish
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serving Size: 10-12 people
- Preheat oven to 275° F.
- Combine 7UP®, 1/3 cup of sugar, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together whole eggs and egg yolks. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan, and turn on low heat. Heat while stirring until thick.
- Pour the curd into a clean bowl, and combine with butter. Cover with cling wrap pressed to the surface, and refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
- Next, combine the egg whites with cream of tartar, and whisk until white and frothy. Slowly add remaining sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- On a lined baking sheet, use a piping bag to pipe the meringue into circular cups.
- Bake the meringue at 275° F for 90 minutes.
- Allow the cups to cool, and then dollop some of the lemon curd into the center.
- Garnish with lime zest, and serve immediately.
Recipe in partnership with Tasty.
Tips from 7UP
For the perfect meringue, make sure the egg whites are at room temperature and don't have any trace of the yolk in them. The fat found in the yolks will prevent the egg white mixture from becoming as light and fluffy as it should be.