Pineapple Upside-Down Cake just got single-serve and super cute. Made light and fluffy with 7UP® in the cake batter, make them at your next party or just for fun.
Get ready to bite into the sweetest, moistest dessert you’ve ever had. Don’t let the number of ingredients and steps fool you. This Pineapple 7UP Side-Down Cupcake recipe is worth making. Since it uses a boxed cake mix, it’s like a head start. Plus, it’s a cupcake recipe, so they’re single-serving and extra cute. To really impress your guests, go the extra mile and add a maraschino cherry inside the pineapple ring and the toasted coconut on top of the finished cupcakes. And if your guests appreciate a hint of rum, add rum to the recipe where indicated.
- 20-oz. can pineapple slices, drained
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp. 7UP®
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest
- 2 tbsp. dark rum (optional)
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 7UP® quantity according to cake mix (replaces water in cake mix, 1:1 ratio)
- 1 tbsp. dark rum (optional)
- Maraschino cherries (optional)
- Whipped cream
- Caramel sauce topping
- Shredded or toasted coconut topping
- Lemon zest and lime zest (optional)
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-30 minutes
- Ready In: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Serving Size: 12 people
- Place pineapple slices in bowl or dish.
- Combine the rest of the pineapple topping ingredients in a medium bowl. (Add 2 tbsp. rum if desired.) Pour over pineapple slices and let marinate.
- Add cinnamon to cake mix and prepare according to instructions on the box, replacing water with 7UP®. (Add 1 tbsp. rum if desired.)
- Spray a cupcake pan with nonstick spray. Place marinated pineapple ring into bottom of each cupcake hollow. If ring is larger than the bottom of cupcake hollow, cut pineapple ring once, cover the bottom first and continue spiraling the pineapple up the sides of the tin. If desired, add maraschino cherry in center of each pineapple ring.
- Scoop the cake batter over each of the pineapples, filling cups 2/3 full.
- Bake according to box instructions, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then carefully flip pan over onto a serving platter.
- Keep pineapple side up. Allow to cool for an additional 1 hour at room temperature.
- Top with whipped topping, caramel sauce, toasted coconut, and lemon and lime zest, or serve as-is.
Please consume responsibly.
Tips from 7UP
You can make this recipe a day ahead of time if you need to. Bake the cupcakes, and let them cool. Top them as you would, then cover and chill. Set them out on the counter a little ahead of time as they are better at room temperature or warmed.