Shirley Temple Lava Cake
Whip up a Shirley Temple Lava Cake, made with 7UP®, today. A fresh twist on this delicious dessert.
If you’re ready to wow your guests with two things they never expected to see together (a Shirley Temple and a lava cake), then keep reading. This Shirley Temple Lava Cake recipe is a fun and decadent treat that’s perfect for all kinds of parties. The cherry filling oozes out and pairs perfectly with the cake, which is extra-fluffy thank to 7UP. It all gets topped with lemon zest and powdered sugar. Every bite is the ultimate combination of sweet and tart and all-around awesomeness.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted + more for buttering ramekins
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 4 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups 7UP®
- 4 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 package cherry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 12 maraschino cherries
- Powdered sugar
- Lemon and lime zest
- Maraschino cherries
- Grenadine syrup
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 17-19 minutes
- Ready In: 34 minutes
- Serving Size: 5-6 people
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Whisk boiling water together with gelatin package, and stir in 1 cup 7UP®.
- Pour into small, round silicone molds and place two cherries per circle.
- Place in refrigerator until firm.
- Pop in the freezer while preparing lava cake batter.
- Prepare batter by melting together butter and white chocolate chips.
- Whisk in remaining 1/2 cup 7UP® and heavy cream until smooth.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, and both zests together in a bowl, then stream in chocolate mixture slowly to temper eggs.
- Sprinkle in cake flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt, and mix together.
- Pour half of the batter into prepared ramekins, pop out one cherry circle and place in ramekins, then cover with remaining batter. Repeat.
- Bake cakes for 17-19 minutes; top should begin to crackle a bit. Remove from oven, run a knife around the edge, and turn out onto a plate.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, lemon/lime zest, and maraschino cherries.
Tips from 7UP
Want to cool off the hot lava and make this dessert even more over the top? Add a scoop of vanilla or cherry ice cream to the top. Or add a spoonful of whipped dairy topping to the top.